17 February 2010

Finding a dress isn't so hard

So, as my previous post read, I went dress shopping on February 15th with my maid of honor, Jen Bruch. I'm going to be honest, I was quite hesitant internally about going to try on dresses. My body certainly isn't in a shape that I wanted to see in a wedding dress. Additionally, I was worried the store wouldn't have any dresses in my size. This seems completely silly now, and may seem so to the reader, but it was a valid fear of mine.

I took a print out of my favorite styles that I found online at David's Bridal, so I could help give the bridal consultant an idea for what I wanted. That said, I had no specific, consistent style of dress. All of my choices were all over the place. Going in, I knew I liked lace and I knew I liked v-necks. The dress I ended up with has zero lace, nor does it have straps.

I had a couple of strapless dresses on my favorites, but only thought that it'd be a good idea to try some on simply to rule them out. I did the same for a fancypants ball gown too. (That was atrocious, by the way!).

After trying on a handful of dresses, I had a favorite, which was the second one I tried on - a v-neck dress with a well defined waist and an a-line skirt. I felt really great in it and even thought that it made me look skinnier than I was!

My consultant was great. She was patient, never pushy, and seemed to ask the right questions about each dress. She ended up having me try on the dress I ultimately chose, which really made me feel comfortable in the situation. She had me walk around the store and sit in my favorite dresses, to ensure that also felt comfortable.

I was waivering between two dresses near the end of trying on dresses... and so I tried both on again at least two times, ultimately deciding on a strapless taffetta dress. This is likely all quite boring since I will not include pictures...but it was a nice experience for me.

I'm quite appreciative that Jen was there with me. I'm not the type to enjoy shopping, especially the type that includes trying on clothes. The experience I had was enjoyable and exactly as I'd like it to be.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe I'm weird but I love this type of stuff! I'm glad you had a great experience getting a dress. Thankfully you didn't have that bride's nightmare situation.
    I'm sure you look great in the dress. Sounds pretty (even if you will not include pictures). :-)

    ReplyDelete